Detox foods after the holidays
The need to detox is a call from our body to "recover" from any holiday mishaps or even from the general change in our habits during the same period. Detoxification helps alkalinize the ph of the blood, enhances the detoxifying action of the liver and reduces inflammation in the body, thus improving our future health.
Fortunately, our fall food choices are plentiful, nutrient-dense, and easy for that matter. Below, we've put together a list of foods that are detoxifying and will help you get back on track, and here's a great quick super detox juice recipe!
1. Sweet potato: it is rich in vitamin A, fiber and potassium, helping to reduce retention, good digestion and supporting the health of the immune system. They are rich in vitamin D and B6 which contribute to the good functioning of the metabolism of fats and carbohydrates. Finally, it contains phytolachines which bind heavy metals, further detoxifying the body.
2. Apples: As apples are high in pectin and fiber, they absorb toxins. Also, they contain glucaric acid which helps to remove chemicals and additives that some foods may contain.
3. Ginger: ginger contains antioxidants and anti-inflammatory components and relieves digestion. It helps in detoxification by producing healthy sweat, ridding the body of toxins and generally helps to strengthen the immune system.
4. Beets: Beets have phytonutrients with detoxifying and antioxidant effects. They contain betaine, an amino acid associated with the neutralization and elimination of toxins from the liver. They are high in fiber and potassium, so they act as a natural laxative, fighting retention and constipation.
5. Onions: It is one of the richest foods in polyphenols, an antioxidant that helps the body function properly. They also contain flavonoids that reduce the risk of heart disease and diabetes.
6. Dill: It is rich in vitamins and anti-inflammatory, while it contains substances that help activate glutathione, an antioxidant that neutralizes free radicals and helps detoxify the liver.
7. Brussels Sprouts: Rich in fiber, vitamins C and K, antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids, Brussels sprouts help with the digestive process and lower blood sugar.
The detox period is not a period of deprivation as many people think. It is a period when we strengthen our body, giving it clean foods with beneficial properties that help its already detoxifying action. It is a help that we provide to him to continue to carry out his work.
Detox Juice Recipe:
Juice with beets *2 people
3 pieces of celery
1 cm ginger
1 green apple
You put everything in the blender and drink. We advise you to drink it immediately so that it does not oxidize and better in the morning on an empty stomach, as the vitamins and minerals are absorbed more easily.
- iToocan Team
(Photo by Nathan Dumlao on Unsplash)